One of the basic tools in the work of an Internet marketer is the Google Keyword Planner, or Google Keyword Planner. This is a valuable source of information on how to improve campaigns for both the experienced marketer and the newbie.
The essence of the tool: it is a service for selecting words for key queries in Google. With its help, you can form a semantic core that is suitable for promoting your business. Of course, if you know how to use Google Planner correctly. In the article, we will consider in detail the operation of the service and its most useful functions.
What is Google Keyword Planner
The Google Keyword Planner was launched as an advertising tool in 2013. This service helps advertisers match relevant keywords right inside the Google Ads interface.
A number of data are available to you in the Keyword Tool. The most important ones are new keyword variations and a monthly summary of search volume. Based on this data when setting up contextual advertising, you can easily select “working” keywords for ads.
Most often, the tool is used when selecting the semantic core of campaigns. But the data from it can also be used for search engine optimization and other tasks:
- content planning;
- compiling a list of negative keywords;
- evaluation of query statistics;
- collecting data to analyze the position of competitors in search results;
- Estimated CPChttp://How to use Google keyword Planner forecast.
Now there are many services for selecting keywords – built into advertising cabinets or specialized ones. Compared to them, the Google Scheduler has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- the tool is completely free for Google Ads users;
- query data comes directly from Google, usually the most accurate information;
- simple and visual integration of created lists of keywords with Google Ads;
- accurate forecast of the cost of a click on different positions in the Google Display Network and on search;
- quick selection of the semantic core of the RK.
The disadvantages include the following features:
- the service does not offer a large number of keyword options;
- the scheduler does not check specific keys for the expected CTR to improve the effectiveness of advertising.
How to access
The program does not work as an application for a smartphone or computer, so you will not be able to download Adwords Keyword Planner. But you can start the service online in two simple steps.
1. Create a Google account
Without a Google account, as without hands, it will be impossible to enter the Google Ads Keyword Planner.
You can skip this step if you already have an account. If not, create it from this link . Or register an additional account for yourself if you want to advertise from your work, not personal e-mail. You will need to come up with an email address and enter contact information.
2. Create an account with Google Ads
This mandatory step is available even for those who do not plan to set up a Google Ads campaign. If the latter applies to you, do the 2 steps at the beginning. First, on the start screen, switch to expert mode at the bottom of the screen. Secondly, click on the “Create an account without a company” link.
Marketers are encouraged to spend a little time and link their account to Google Analytics. So you will quickly evaluate the effectiveness of advertising and easily integrate the data flow into the end-to end to analytics service .
If you are just starting to delve into the capabilities of the service, try experimenting with different features. This will help you figure out how to put together a list of the most relevant keywords. In the material below, we will analyze only the most important options that will help you deal with the keyword selection functionality in the shortest possible time.
Working with keywords in Google Keyword Planner
In Google AdWords Keyword Planner you can work on keywords for free. The service has two sections: search and forecasts.
The first allows you to find new keywords that directly relate to your business. There you will generate for yourself the required number of options.
The second section is mainly used to set up pay-per-click ads in Google Ads, using the Pay Per Click model.
How to find new keywords
The first step to form a semantic core is to search for keywords for advertising.
- You have already learned how to go to the Keyword Planner home screen inside Google Ads. Now select the “Find new keywords” option.
- In the “Enter your options …” tab, fill in the search topics – add keywords that relate to your field of activity. There may be many such keys. To create a new list of keywords, enter the initial one and select the country where you want to target.
If necessary, specify the region. If you work in the Pakistan you do not need to change anything, the system will set the urdu language and Pakistan by default. Click on the “Show Results” button.
The system will offer you a set of suitable keywords. Analyze them. In the results section, you can view more detailed information, such as average search volume, level of competition, and top-of-page bids, from minimum to maximum.
n the same section, the option to manage keyword matching becomes available. It only applies to Google Ads campaigns. You can choose any of 3 options: broad, phrase or exact match.
- Broad match means that Google will show the ad for all queries related to the key in one way or another. For example, “haircut”, even if you are a dog groomer.
- When you select a phrase match, the system will display your ad to anyone who is looking for similar products or services. For example, in our case, “groomer services”.
- Exact Match – Impressions will only be shown to those who are looking for “dog grooming”.
Carefully study the statistics from Keyword Planner in Google AdWords to set this option correctly.
You can save the selected keywords with the assigned match in the Keyword Plan. Then this information will be in the corresponding section of the left menu. All data can be easily exported when you need it for your SEO campaign.
How to find competitor keywords
Building a keyword plan based on the offer, budget, and common sense is a standard and successful method for most companies. However, there are also competitor ads, so it is useful to focus on the semantics of their ads. This will help you, based on the experience of others, to understand which phrases work best. And in a highly competitive environment, you will understand how you can stand out from other offers.
If competitors have built an effective strategy for working with keywords, why reinvent the wheel? The Google Ads Keywords Planner service will give you a hint on which keywords they are targeting. To get this information, select the section for new keywords, switch to the “Specify site” menu at the top.
Then enter a competitor’s URL in the first field and choose whether you want to view the keywords of their entire site or just a specific page. In the second case, enter the URL of the competitor you are interested in using the “Specify site” option.
Keyword research in Google AdWords based on competitor keywords helps you discover a lot of new wording that is hard to find any other way. And after analyzing several competing sites, you will quickly compile a list of really effective keywords. You can then use them on your website or PPC ads . So don’t forget about this tricky Google Keywords Tools option.
How to find out the monthly number of requests
There is another important task that the Google Keyword Planner can help you with. This is finding out the exact number of monthly requests from a search for a given key. For example, you sell sofas and want to know how many people in your city have entered the query “buy a sofa” in the last month. Other services for refining queries, such as Ahrefs or SEMRush, provide such analytics for a fee. But this same feature of Google Keyword Planner, like its other features, does not require investments from users of the service. What’s more: these statistics will come to you directly from Google, therefore, they are much more accurate.
- To select keywords in Google Adwords, use the “View the number of requests and forecasts” section on the start page. There you will find out how many users are looking for a particular key.
Why do you even need the total number of search queries per key per month? This is the basis for a competent increase in cost per click. Accurate numbers will help predict the maximum impressions. If the popularity of the query you need has fallen, it will be difficult to get high positions in the SERP. Google and the keywords found will help make your ads rank highly.
Make sure you set up an exact key match, not a broad one. Otherwise, volume estimates will be inaccurate. As a result, it will be possible to estimate the number of impressions that your ad can get per month for the selected keyword, and the average cost per click. In our example, up to 10,000 people search for the phrase “end-to-end analytics” every month. And the average rate for top positions ranges from 248 to 713 rubles. Without this information from Google Ads Keyword Planner, you could miss your bid range.
How to refine keywords
One of the new features of the Google AdWords Keyword Planner is the ability to refine keywords after you’ve picked them up.
- Enter multiple keys in the “Find new keywords” section of the Google Keyword Planner interface. In this example, we’re using the phrase “dry skin” because it provides a lot of options and demonstrates what the Refine feature can do.
- Select a specific section. So you can clarify which keyword groups to include or, conversely, exclude from the Google AdWords keyword selection list. Any changes in the menu will immediately affect the parameters that are on the left in the main table.
This feature will seriously help you when filtering phrases. And it will make it easier to find the right keyword among hundreds with a similar spelling.
How to export keywords from Planner
It’s time to save the target phrases that you have picked up, peeped from competitors and analyzed. We have already told you how to save the selected keywords to the plan – just tick them off by selecting the match type. This is the best way to create a Google Ads campaign based on them. This ad set can be used to estimate costs and predict clicks before publishing ads. To do this, go to the “Keyword Plan” section and click on the “Create Campaign” button
But if you need to use selected keywords for SEO or want to send them to someone else, this method won’t help. There are 2 ways to export keywords from Google Keyword Planner.
- Download all the keys to your device and click on the button with the arrow-shaped icon in the upper right corner. This is done in the same section.
- The system will generate a list in CSV format or in Google Sheets. This data can then be edited using the power of Spreadsheets or Excel. Then you can upload the corrected data back and conduct keyword analysis in the Google service.
But what if only certain keywords are important, and not all? Unfortunately, simply selecting them from the options tab and hitting the download button will not work. To understand how to select only selected keywords for Google AdWords , consider the second method.
- You need to add a set of keywords to the ad group. Click on the Create Campaign button. Now it doesn’t matter if you want to run ads right now or not.
After that, go to the ad groups section. To upload the desired keywords, select “Keywords”, click on the arrow icon in the upper right corner. Specify the desired export options, select keywords and save the file in the selected format. There are more available here than in the first method.
Google Keyword Planner Hacks
Here are some little-known life hacks using Google Ads Keyword Planner.
Find the best keywords for SEO with bid prediction
What keywords will take your site to the next level? Do not try to randomly pick up keywords, it is better to open the columns of proposed rates in Google.
These metrics are related to PPC advertising , but you can use them even if you don’t intend to pay for the promotion. People are willing to pay big money for just one click, especially in highly competitive business segments or in big cities. Advertisers know that a high organic position will pay off sooner or later. So through bid predictions, you will find exactly the keywords that are popular in Google search at the moment.
To highlight the desired data, click on the heading of the column “Bid to show at the top – max”. It must be sorted in descending order. So the most popular keywords will rise to the top.
Find out the devices preferred by target users
Smartphones, tablets, computers… How can you guess which of the gadgets your potential customers use today to search for information on the Web? Run a Google keyword check on the device of potential customers. That is, you will understand exactly what phrases are being typed, for example, from laptops on Mac OS or from iPhones.
Add the necessary keywords to the plan, select the “Forecast” section in the menu on the left and scroll down the page to the “Devices” tab, namely, to the “Impressions” panel. Hover over it and the system will show you how many of the total impressions are for each device category.
Leave a Reply